Thursday

Here we go again!


That's right, another season of blogging! This time, I will be studying in Santiago, Chile for a month during the month of June. Woohoo! Needless to say, this blog won't have nearly as many postings, and probably less pictures than last time. I decided to change my blog location because this one is way easier to use!
My old blog is still up and running for any old-times who still want to read about my fantastic adventures in Europe last summer.

Hopefully I will get to do a little bit of traveling while I am down south, but my funds are limited so there is no telling what will happen. Hopefully I'll get to visit Valparaiso (just pretend there's an accent over the last i) or maybe even Buenos Aires, Argentina. We shall see!

Many people are surprised when they discover that when it's Summer here, it is Winter in Chile (and the rest of the Southern Hemisphere). So instead of bringing swimsuits and shorts, this summer I will be packing sweaters and coats. It looks like my attempts to pack less this time may be in vain because sweaters take up a lot more room in a suitcase than swimsuits or tee shirts! I hate winter, but Chile's not supposed to be too cold. I thought it would be at first, because one website boasted that Santiago gets down to zero degrees at the lowest - but they meant zero degrees Celsius (or around 32 degrees Fahrenheit). However, I did hear that most places don't have central heating. I'm sure I'll make due - what doesn't kill me will make me stronger! (Or at least make me come back to South America in December instead of June!)
This summer is bound to be a crazy one. I will be leaving May 30 (right after I finish finals and moving out of my apartment). During my first week back, I will be celebrating both the 4th of July (which I missed last year!) and my brother's wedding. Then, I will spend the rest of the summer consumed in my own wedding plans, which will hopefully result in a beautiful and unstressful August 4th wedding for Mykl and me. We'll honeymoon somewhere (Mykl's surprising me), have a week or two to get settled, and then Mykl and I will start school again.


Many people think I'm crazy for trying to do all of this in one summer. I probably am. But I don't want to pass up the chance to study abroad again - especially when I've been awarded a scholarship that will cover the expenses. I love experiencing other cultures. I love traveling, and practicing my Spanish. It is an exhilarating experience that makes me feel like a more complete person.
That's all for now. It's late and I should probably be sleeping. Those of you that have read all of this deserve a gold star or a cookie or a tasty strawberry (for those dieters out there).

No comments: