Thursday

Home sweet home!

Well, I am officially back in the States now! My flights were much more pleasant this time around - no passing out, throwing up, etc... My flight from Atlanta to St. Louis ended up switching gates four times, being delayed, and finally canceled. Luckily, they were able to switch me to the night flight into St. Louis. Apparently there were almost fifty people who were one the first flight that were on standby though, so I must have been really lucky to get a ticket!

I am happy to be home, although it has been hard to get used to the heat! I'm not complaining though, I'd take heat over cold any day. We moved into the new apartment Monday, and I think I've got pretty much everything put away, which is great! I love it! Mykl and I had some interesting moments cooking when we realized that no, we don't actually have a collander or a can-opener (we do now!). We just had to improvise a little bit!

Sometimes students have a little bit of reverse culture shock coming home, but mine hasn't been too bad. I've had difficulty saying a few things - like Papa - I keep wanting to say it in a Spanish accent and for awhile I couldn't figure out how to pronounce it. I kept having to think, "Paw-Paw" and that helped! I have been inserting a few random Spanish words into conversation without thinking about it, but it is a lot better now. I also keep spelling words the Spanish way. I also have had trouble remembering that employees in stores and restraunts speak English in the United States. That's getting better too, though. I am really enjoying being back on a normal eating schedule - don't have to wait to eat lunch unto 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon! And dinner is not at 8:30 or 9:00! I am a happy camper, but am probably back gaining the weight I lost. Oh well!

I am thrilled to say that I am feeling much better! I had some pretty rotten headaches and stomach issues at first, but I think that was because I was adjusting to the heat, humidity, and lack of pollution. I still have a little bit of congestion, but all in all I feel a lot better!

Well, my break is about over so I'd better get back to work. Today's my first day back at the Library. I'm so happy to be back with my kiddies!

2 comments:

pjacobs51 said...

Now you'll have to go back to eating that crappy American ice cream . . . ha ha

Love ya
Dad

Anonymous said...

Blah