Sunday

A few things that make me smile

So this will be random and short, but here are some things about Chile that make me smile:

1. Everything is a remedy for a cold. Especially alcohol. Apparently, it is wise to drink rum or pisco sour when you have a cold or a sore throat. Also, one must also drink Coca Cola. The Coreans in my class say you should eat ice cream and avoid chicken, but Chileans think that chicken must be eaten!

2. Even in a city of 6 million people, there are moments when one says, "It's a small world..." For example, you meet someone somewhere never thinking you will see them again....but then you do! Weird... Incomfortable you might say...

3. Clothes. I am never wearing enough clothes here. The other day in class, I was wearing a long sleeved tee shirt, a sweater, and a fleece pullover and the teacher told me that I had a cold because I wasn't wearing enough clothes. This type of thing happens frequently! One must always wear shoes in the house, and probably a coat too, just in case.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post--maybe you should try Chile again when it's their summer so you can go barefoot in the house.

Anonymous said...

Alli,

I'm sorry you've been sick. :( It's a miserable thing when you are away from home.

The remedies are fascinating! When my Mexican host sister visited the United States a few years ago, her daughter was sick with a sore throat and cold. I called "Ask a Nurse" for some advice. My sister was aghast when the nurse recommended popscicles to sooth the sore throat! She grew up believing that you should avoid cold drinks and ice when sick.

I guess they don't have heat in the homes there?

How is your espanol? I bet it is muy bueno. I hope the rest of your trip is positive!

Sarah Derr (The Library Station)

pjacobs51 said...

Things you should've learned in America.

1. Alcohol will destroy your immune system. Take vitamins instead, especially C.

2. If you see the same stranger in a city of 6 million people more than once, he is probably stalking you.

3. Cold weather does not cause a cold. Being couped up in a room full of sick people will cause you to get a cold. Cover your mouth and nose with a scarf, but don't face Mecca and pray to Alla. Science has proven that praying won't help colds.


Love ya
Dad

Anonymous said...

Your Mom and Dad are really funny.

Jenn